Monday, September 17, 2012

Arrival

Hello from Cameroon!
I am here after some long flights. My body is very confused about what time it should be. I am on a French keyboard in an internet café so there may be mistakes. Post more later; for now, everything is very new and a little stressful. We are staying in a hotel in the city for a few days before we go to our host families. I will try to post pictures but internet is not reliable (it does not work if it rains, for example) so that may have to wait. French is difficult to understand but should improve. And in case you were worried I do have a bathroom, complete with toilet and shower. And the streets are paved although there are not really traffic laws, lots of honking all the time and I feel like we are about to run over someone about every 3 seconds.
That will be all for now, apologies for incoherency.
Cheers,
Shannon

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon,

    Alex and I were saying just last night that you might just be arriving in Cameroun; it would have been 1:30am or so Cameroun time. Looks like we might have been right! I hope you acclimate commfortably, and we look forward to reading your sporadic entries, and maybe even learning a little French.

    And, thanks for sending us your blog link. May I send it to Nikki and Stephen, my older friends who you met at dinner? I think they would enjoy reading about your experiences, when you are able to post. ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon! I don't understand how rain could disrupt Internet. How exciting! I'm happy to hear you arrived safely. Please eat ONE peanut for me.
    -Your dear sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon!

    How exciting! In Panama, they also don't follow traffic laws, although I assume there is slightly more pavement. The whole 'yield to pedestrian' stuff just doesn't fly here and it sounds like its true there too. Don't worry! you will get used to it :)

    Have fun and take it one day at a time. I'm sure its overwhelming, but it'll get a little better every day.

    <3
    Kate

    ReplyDelete