Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Lions

Hello again!
I apologize for neglecting you a bit. More than a week seems like a long time in blog-years, but not too much has happened since the last post. I haven't had any more classes at the university, although I do have my two classes with the program, and I've been going to the university during the day anyway to say hi to everyone and do homework. I generally prefer having a routine, but I'm trying to get used to not knowing what's going on half the time, what people are talking about, what I'm eating... I think it does rather stress me out though. 

I have also discovered that I rather prefer finding dead cockroaches in my room in the morning (although I don't know how they got there and died) to having adventures with live ones. However, I am perfecting my technique of showering with a bucket, and becoming much more at ease with cold showers if the water is working. 

On Sunday, Cameroon was playing Cape Verde in football (soccer) to quality for the Africa cup. We all decided we wanted to go, so Olivier took us. Here is a picture of the ridiculously full stadium:

The energy at the beginning was contagiously exuberant. Many people were really excited to see us (seeing me in my jersey: "Even the white girl supports the Lions!") and celebrate. Super fun. Cape Verde, unfortunately, got the first goal. We fairly quickly put in one for ourselves, and most of the game was 1-1. We left a little early for security purposes (which was good because it started pouring a few minutes later anyway), and found out later that Cameroon won 2-1, but everyone was upset because there wasn't enough points to qualify to continue. The air was much more tense upon leaving. Instead of smiles, there were glares and sullen looks. The mirrors on the car had been stolen too. Despite the sad ending, all in all I had a great time.

I think I'll keep this post short and hopefully post again later this week. I have a few things I've been thinking about - religion, corruption, taxis - that I'd like to talk about more in depth when I have some time to think. Also, in case you were wondering, I voted successfully by email last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment