Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Sickness Strikes


Well, poop. From constipation to diarrhea in less than a day, I have not been having the best weekend.

It started last week with a sore throat and a bad mood, so I went to see the doctor (which involved calling him and then showing up at his office a little later, no forms or anything, although I did have to wait for him to show up). I got medicine for my throat, but the next day at school I was feeling feverish and fatigued and came home in tears. A doctor friend of my papa came to make a house call and diagnosed me with, guess what, malaria, and additional infection. Lots of drugs, dozing, and pages of plots twists in A Dance with Dragons later, I end up with diarrhea as well (I’m guessing as a side effect from one of the treatments). Took something for that as well, and I think it’s safe to say that my body is not at all pleased with all the foreign elements.

Malaria, you say, oh no, don’t die! Well, it certainly wasn’t fun (are fevers and headaches ever?), but it’s a normal part of life here, kind of like the flu back home. Everyone in my family has gotten the paludisme at least a couple times. As long as you catch it early enough (and everyone knows the symptoms) you take medicine and it goes away. And I’m much better already, I think the malaria is gone and it’s just the other stuff that remains. I am rather irritated because I’ve been very careful about following the directions with my anti-malarial medication, Doxycycline. I know none of them are 100% effective, but another student on the program taking the same meds also got malaria, so I am rather suspicious. Oh well, too late to change now.

I must say that being sick makes me miss my own family quite a bit. There’s nothing like your mom bringing you soup or toast or tea, just the way you like it. As it was, the smell of poisson fumé just about made me vomit, and I am now seriously tired of plain rice. But, on the up and up.

I think I have more to tell you but I’m tired, so I’ll stop for now. Enjoy Halloween for me! (It doesn’t exist here) Mmmm, squash and pumpkins and apples…

No comments:

Post a Comment